History of GCC Niagara
Core Activities
Who Can Participate
Honouring Our Commitment
Further Information
Upcoming Events
Outreach Activities
Our Military History
Educational Initiative
The Family Support Group
Projects

GCC Main Website
GCC London
Community Advisory Board
of Pictou


The 7 Year Project
Breakout Educational Network

Projects
 

 
The Garrison Community Council of Niagara In Support of
The
Lincoln & Welland Regiment Foundation Presents:

THE VIMY GUN PROJECT
A little known piece of Canadian Heritage sits quietly outsideButler ’s Barracks in Niagara-on-The-Lake.

The Gun:
It is a German Artillery piece, the serial number of which has been researched by Lieutenant Colonel (Retired) Bill Smy, Regimental Historian of the Lincoln & Welland Regiment. Now known simply as ‘The Vimy Gun’, it has a storied past.

Manufactured by KRUPP Armaments, Germany in 1914, it is a 105 mm calibre, (which refers to the diameter of the bore), weighs more than 1,100 kilograms and fires a shell weighing 15.5 kilograms.

   
The Canadian Acquisition:

Positioned as part of the German defensive position on Vimy Ridge, it was used to counter attempts by the French and British to capture the ridge.

On April 16, 1917, the gun was captured by the soldiers of the 7th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force - The British Columbia Regiment, during the battle for Vimy Ridge. Fortunately, the Germans also left a stock of ammunition to go with the gun. Following its capture the gun was turned over to a Canadian Artillery unit who used it to fire back at its original owners, in support of the continuation of the attack to seize the ridge and to defend against the inevitable German counter attack.

 
   

‘The Vimy Gun’ epitomizes Canadian Heroism and Sacrifice in a battle
that has come to symbolize Canada’s ‘coming of age’.
   
 
Post War:

The Gun was brought to Queenston (1920/21) and placed in front of the Village school. It was relocated to the cenotaph in 1926.
The re-alignment of the Niagara Parkway forced the gun to be moved again at which time the 57th Field Artillery Association became the custodians of the gun.
   
The Gun was eventually placed at Butler’s Barracks, Niagara-on-the-Lake in conjunction with an agreement with Parks Canada.

Re-discovered by members of the Lincoln & Welland Regimental Museum volunteers, custodianship of this important historical artefact has been transferred to the The Lincoln & Welland Regiment Foundation.

 
   
Bringing History Alive:

Now known simply as “The Vimy Gun”, The Lincoln & Welland Regiment Foundation is committed to the restoration of this significant monument to the bravery, commitment, and sacrifice of Canada’s Men and Women of the Armed Forces and the Home Front. A Parks Canada restoration expert has examined the gun and advised what work needs to be done, including new wooden wheel spokes and iron work, followed by sandblasting and painting. The gun will have to be taken apart, repaired and put back together.

It is our plan to have the gun completely restored and unveiled by November 11, 2014.

“The Vimy Gun” will then be displayed throughout the Niagara Region prior to its formal dedication celebrating the 100th Anniversary of its capture during the Battle for Vimy Ridge in April 1917.

Get involved with YOUR History

The Garrison Community Council of Niagara solicits your support for this signature project.
A Fundraising Campaign has officially started. Cheques should be made out to The Lincoln & Welland Regiment Foundation, and specifically annotated “The Vimy Gun Project”.
Your financial donations will ensure the completion of this most worthwhile project – on time. Donations large or small are welcome. Donations of $20.00 or greater will receive a receipt for tax purposes.

For further information contact the Garrison Community Council at
gcc-niagara@bell.net

Correspondence may be directed to:
The Vimy Project - c/o Chair- Garrison Community Council of Niagara
Lake Street Armoury
81 Lake Street, St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 5X3